|This article pertains to Xenogears: the sub-database of Xenosaga Wiki.|
|“||That was pretty interesting. But dropping a warship on me is cheating... Take it back!||”|
Id is a character and antagonist in Xenogears.
Id is an identity born during the physical and mental trauma Fei Fong Wong suffered when he was 4 years old.
When Id asserts himself, Fei's hair eyes and skin change color. His brown hair turns crimson, his brown eyes turn bright yellow and his dark tanned skin turns a sickly pale. His eyebrows also become thicker and more unkempt, and he gains a new set of armor.
When Fei dissociates into this identity, he becomes insane, destructive, and extremely powerful. Id's power is a manifestation of Fei's status as the Contact, a glimpse of what Fei could be if he chose to awaken fully. Due to the disassociated personalities within Fei, he is unique amongst Contacts, being at the same time fully awakened, and yet not.
When Fei was four years old, his mother Karen Wong was possessed by Myyah Hawwa, sealing away his original mother's personality. When Myyah suspected Fei of being a new incarnation of the Contact, he was taken to testing labs and hurt mentally and physically. The trauma Fei suffered at the hands of Myyah planted the seeds for Id to later emerge.
Things came to a head in 9985, when Grahf discovered the child Fei and attempted to meld with him. Fei's father, Khan Wong, attempted to stop him. During their battle, Fei was unable to contain his powers as the Contact, and released a beam of light that arced back towards him. Just before the beam could hit Fei, Karen regained control and used her body as a shield, protecting her son from the blast but killing her.
Unable to deal with the reality of what occurred, Fei refused living since then as he was unable to cope with the psychological trauma, and Id was the only identity left.
Grahf kidnapped Fei from Khan and began traveling with him for about 10 years, always trying to keep one step ahead of Khan, who was tirelessly searching for them.
In 9993, Grahf turned Id loose on civilizations such as Elru in order to cause chaos and destruction, as well to strengthen his abilities. Kahran Ramsus was severely injured by Id. After this terror, Ramsus still had nightmares of it.
In 9996, Khan located Grahf again and Fei/Id, and battled him in order to take his son back. However, Grahf passed into the body of Khan, thus forming a relationship very similar to that of Fei and Id. Khan (disguised as Wiseman) dropped off Fei, with Id was sealed in deep dormancy in Fei's subconscious, in Lahan Village in order to prevent Fei from being killed by Grahf.
When Timothy, Fei's best friend, is killed in Lahan Village, Fei awakens Id once again after years of peace.
Whenever Id surfaced, Fei's Gear Weltall transformed into Weltall-Id, a blood-red Gear of incredible power with six glowing wings made of energy. Even without his Gear, Id is monstrously powerful and fully capable of destroying Gears bare-handed.
While exploring the Zeboim Ruins, Id demands Emeralda Kasim from Isaac Stone for unknown reasons. He proceeds to fight the group. After losing, Wiseman attempts to stop Id, and the scene ends on a cliffhanger.
After Fei witnesses the deaths of Erich and Medena Van Houten, Id awakens in Fei and completely destroys Solaris in Weltall-Id, causing it to explode and sink into the ocean, killing a massive amount of people.
Id is given peace near the end of the game during The Land of Bethlehem scenes, when Khan dies.
Id, ego and super-ego Edit
Id is a form of the subconscious mind according to psychologist Sigmund Freud, is Fei's destructive side. This coincides with Freud’s principle of the “Id” versus the “Super-ego” (see “Id, ego and super-ego”). The Id is the “instinct” side of the subconscious: it craves self-gratification. The Super-ego, in turn, is the logical and less instinctual side. Moreover, the Ego is the side that decides the balance between the Id and the Super-ego.
In this case, Fei is the Super-ego. Id wants to destroy everything and cause chaos, while Fei's Super-ego side is stable and peaceful. The third, recessive persona existed as a catalyst and the balance between the two: the Coward, which is a representation of the aforementioned “Ego” in Freudian psychology. In Fei's case, this manifested as dissociative identity disorder.
This is also shown, in Disc 1 at Nortune, Kislev, when Fei enters his subconscious for the first time, and finds his younger self watching a memory of him playing with his mother. Fei wonders to himself if these are his memories, but then slowly turns to find another child. This child is left in the dark, and states: "You shouldn't be here."
Id is a fully awakened Contact, giving him near-infinite control over the forces of reality, Ether. His ability is so great that it is physically impossible to measure the Ether response of him or his Gear, much like Grahf or a fully awakened Antitype.
Predictably, Id uses these powers destructively. He can create black holes, fire energy waves, or enhance his body to superhuman levels able to contend with any foe in close quarters. He also possesses telekinesis, able to, while piloting his Gear, lift an entire ship up and hurl it. He can also fly, and in one occasion, teleport.
The oddest of these powers is the ability to change his appearance. Even when Fei was a child, Id manifested as a full-grown adult. These manifestations also come with his outfit change, meaning that he likely generates the armor out of Ether itself, or at least stores it away using Ether and retrieves it immediatly upon transforming.
- "Heh... You. You've come to die, eh?"
- "The one you call Fei is asleep. When I awake, he sleeps. That is why he has no memory of what I do."
- "Fei is my subordinate. He cannot peer into my memories. He should not, in actuality, even exist. That man forcibly created his personality. Fei is a tenant in the room of cowardice..."
- "Our father, Khan. He sealed up my personality in the deepest recesses of my consciousness."
- "A coward like him does not deserve to be 'Fei's existence'. A pathetic one who has always fled from reality. He never did one thing against me when I control him. A coward who refuses to live. He should've been erased. But he continues to exist! Why won't he disappear? Dammit... it makes my skin crawl just being in the same body as him."
- "You call him father? He who never did anything for you? It was because of his cowardly behavior... If only he had been able to protect me... If he had done that... mother wouldn't have died..."
- "My purpose is the same as his... total destruction! That and that alone!"
- "My power... couldn't save anyone. It only destroyed. I thought that I could only make a connection with others through destruction. So I had to destroy it all. People... The world... Even Elly..."
- "Mother being so warm... To me... She always seemed... too warm... Fei. Take the memories I have within me. You must know what it used to be like up until now. Know our identity... about who we are. Then figure out what ought to be done. Our integration is not yet complete."