|This article pertains to Xenogears: the sub-database of Xenosaga Wiki.|
|“||Maria, you're my daughter. You know how stupid humans can be. You don't need to perish along with these feeble humans. Now, come, Maria. Start a new life with me. We shall begin a new chapter in life. Let's build a bright future together. I'll be by your side and protect you this time for sure. I promise you.||”|
He is somewhat misanthropic and believes humans are imperfect, foolish life forms.
In 9986, not long after Maria's birth, Nikolai was captured by Solaris, due to being an expert in neurological research, for Solaris' M Plan. However, he refused to work.
In 9987, Claudia and Maria were also kidnapped from Shevat and taken to Solaris. With their lives on the line, Nikolai was forced to work on the M Plan, while Claudia and Maria's lives were held hostage. He often experimented with Gears and humans in the Soylent System with Erich Van Houten.
In 9990, Claudia died due to experimenting with the creation of the Gear Seibzehn. Nikolai was devastated. After, Nikolai programmed Seibzehn to return Maria to the surface to Isaac Balthasar.
Over the years, Nikolai became gradually brainwashed by Solaris.
Eventually, he created a Gear (Achtzehn) that could easily merge with human thought, which practically destroyed his existence.
He comes back to Shevat when Maria and Chu-Chu attack his Gear. He fights and loses to Chu-Chu. He makes peace with his daughter before killing himself.
- "Hello, little rats, come on out. Come on my cute little guinea pigs."
- "Humans are an imperfect, foolish life form... I will show the greatness of a perfect life form! Achtzehn, the combination of human wisdom and the strength of steel."
- "What's with this astronomically unintellectual... looking low level animal...?"
- "For a low-class, low level life form, you're pretty good."
- "Die, you pathetic animal! Die!"
- "Maria... I will always be with you. Now and forever."