Ye shall be as gods is a warning message seen in Xenogears and Xenosaga Episode I, as well as a common theme in the Xeno series, which has multiple characters trying to become god-ly and god-like, like Dmitri Yuriev. In Xeno, humans can be seen as becoming "godly" or playing the role of "god".
It is also a particularly relevant message because both games contain elements of:
- transhumanism (merging of biological and mechanical)
- creating new lifeforms and species
- controlling other people/lifeforms/animals, and who lives or dies
- trying to control the Zohar
- trying to claim the will of "God" - what "God" wants and doesn't want
- trying to enact man-made laws and acting as if these laws are of infallible divine authority
It originates from Genesis 3:5 of the Bible. In it, the serpent offered Eve a fruit and told her that if she ate it, humanity would become "like gods".
Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht Edit
"Ye shall be as gods" is KOS-MOS' log-in password.