The Original Zohar is called "Marienkind," which means "Child of Mary" in German. According to the Original Design Materials, this name represents Jesus Christ. However, the U.M.N. database in Episode I gives yet another reference, saying that this also refers to a fairytale by the Brothers Grimm (Jacob and Wilhelm) about a girl who receives the keys to the 13 doors of heaven from Mary, the mother of Jesus. This girl would presumably be Mary Magdalene or Shion Uzuki.
The Zohar is perceived in the Real Number Domain of the Lower Domain as a golden monolith. It is visually distinguished by an aquamarine jewel.
The Original Zohar is not to be mistaken for Joachim Mizrahi's Zohar Emulators, which are not as powerful. Zohar Emulators have red Hebrew letters instead of a jewel. The Hyams Zohar Emulator appears to have a blue letter.
It serves as a portal between the Upper Domain of U-DO and the Lower Domain of the human collective consciousness (Unus Mundus). This legendary artifact is rumored to be capable of eradicating the Gnosis and ushering in an era of universal peace and human tranquility. However, the Zohar may also be a powerful tool of destruction and possesses a threat.
Anyone who comes into physical contact (direct or in the beginning of Episode I, through a space suit) with the Zohar or its emulators vanishes from physical space. Unmanned vehicles or Auto-Techs, however, are unaffected. The Episode I guide claims this is due to 'the power of one's will'.
Anyone who touches the Zohar instantly dies Edit
Originally it was used by ancient people to power the Relics of God.
However, the Ormus Society claims that they have been the people bound to the Zohar for eternity. Ormus is not the only known faction after the powers of the Zohar.
During the series, the Zohar transfers to a variety of different locations.
- The people of ancient Lost Jerusalem are the first to perceive it.
- Mary Magdalene's followers hide it under Lake Turkana in northern Kenya.
- In 20XX, Vector Industries (Wilhelm) excavates it and transfers it to Toronto, Canada to research.
- Vector scientist Grimoire Verum uses it in a link experiment with Nephilim Verum. As a result, a matter shift was generated, and mankind had no choice but to escape from Earth. The system went out of control during a control experiment, and Nephilim became the first to disappear. The disappearance phenomenon continued to expand, eventually erasing all of Earth from dimensional space.
- After Lost Jerusalem disappears, Ormus transports it to planet Michtam (Abraxas) for safekeeping and more research. Michtam is the homeland of Ormus. The Zohar is presumably kept on Michtam (Abraxas) for thousands of years.
- After Michtam's destruction in T.C. 4747, the Galaxy Federation transfers it to Miltia in Labyrinthos, due to the existence of numerous facilities left on Miltia from early Immigrant Fleet visits, where research continues.
- The U-TIC Organization becomes corrupted and a Zohar struggle leads to the Miltian Conflict. After the traumatic deaths of Suou Uzuki and Aoi Uzuki, Shion's despair resonated with the Zohar in Labyrinthos, summoning the Gnosis. After the Miltian Conflict and Miltia is locked in the Abyss, the Zohar is inaccessible in the Abyss for 14 years.
Xenosaga Episode IIEdit
- MOMO Mizrahi's copy of the Y-Data leaks, and several parties rush to acquire the original Zohar at Miltia. Unfortunately for the Galaxy Federation, Ormus gets there first. The Patriarch Sergius XVII obtains it and attaches it to Proto Omega.
- Proto Omega is destroyed, leaving it to float in space.
- The Gnosis Abel's Ark appears, absorbs it, and disappears for months.
Xenosaga Episode IIIEdit
- Albedo extracts it from Abel's Ark and returns it to Michtam.
- The Zohar is attached to Zarathustra.
- Yeshua (chaos) and Mary Magdalene (KOS-MOS) use the Zohar to eradicate the Gnosis. A phase shift occurs, and what occurs to the Zohar is ambiguous. It is possible the Zohar is returned to Lost Jerusalem, or is destroyed entirely.
The name Zohar (Hebrew for "splendor" or "radiance") is a reference to an important book in Jewish mysticism.
|“||Yes, 'Zohar'... It is what drives all of the Gears on this planet. It is the master generator that transmits its energy to the slave generators in our Gears. It is also the source of all the Ether power that the inhabitants of this planet utilize. By utilizing the energy displacements caused by actualizing potential future phenomenon... this 'Zohar Modifier' has the ability to produce infinite amounts of energy.||”|
The Zohar was also based on the Zohar Modifier from Xenosaga's spiritual predecessor Xenogears. In Xenogears, the Zohar Modifier appears as a simple golden monolith with a turquoise eye rather than Xenosaga's ornately designed monolith and jewel. The Xenogears monolith also lacked the "arms" of the Xenosaga monolith which give it the appearance of a cross.
In Xenogears, the Zohar Modifier serves as prison for the Wave Existence, and is an essential part of Deus' core engine. The Zohar Modifier is the device used not only by Deus as a source of energy, but also the player character and NPC gears. It is also the source of the populous' ether abilities.
- The Zohar also is similar in appearance and usage to the Monolith from Arthur C. Clarke's 2001: A Space Odyssey.
- The Zohar also serves as the logo for Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht.